Kustoff Votes to Strengthen our Military
WASHINGTON, D.C. –Today, Congressman David Kustoff (TN-08) issued the following statement following the vote for Fiscal Year 2020 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA). This legislation will authorize $738 billion in funding for the Department of Defense.
“The federal government’s number one priority is to ensure the safety and security of the American people. I am proud to support this vital funding that will provide the necessary resources to continue to rebuild our military’s readiness, develop new technologies, and confront our adversaries,” said Rep. David Kustoff. “Most importantly, this legislation gives our servicemen and women a deserved 3.1 percent pay raise, which is the largest in a decade. I look forward to President Trump signing this legislation into law and giving our troops the tools they need to fulfill important missions and properly defend our nation.”
Background on FY 2020 NDAA:
- Provides a 3.1% pay-raise for our troops, the largest increase in a decade.
- $658.4 billion in base defense budget and $71.5 billion in OCO.
- An additional $5.3 billion in emergency funding for military installations damaged by natural disasters.
- $500 million for US-Israel missile defense cooperation, continues funding the European Defense Initiative, and authorizes $300m for the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative.
- Funds the President’s budget request for Nuclear National Security Administration and does not prohibit the deployment of low-yield nuclear weapons.
- Provides the resources to counter threats from adversaries and support AI, hypersonic, and 5G programs.
- Does not include any prohibitions on funding a border wall nor restrictions affecting the counterdrug programs that construct fences along the border to block drug smuggling corridors.