“With more than 10,000 farm operators, West Tennessee is fortunate to have a large footprint in the agriculture industry. As Congress discusses the Farm Bill and legislative related to agriculture, I will seek the advice of farmers in the 8th District, and I promise to always be a strong advocate for their concerns in Washington.” – Congressman David Kustoff
- Unfortunately, over the last three years, farmers have endured a 45 percent drop in net farm income. This is the largest three-year drop since the start of the Great Depression.
- Throughout the last decade, our rural communities have suffered exponentially as factory jobs have disappeared and businesses have shuttered their doors.
- That is why it is more important now than ever to protect legislation like the Farm Bill and push back against attacks on the risk management tools that are vital to protecting Tennessee farmers.
- H.R. 631, Death Tax Repeal Act
- H.R. 953, Reducing Reglatory Burdens Act of 2017
- H.R. 1626, Student Agriculture Protection Act of 2017: This bill amends the Internal Revenue Code to exclude from the gross income of a student farmer up to $5,000 of the gain from the sale or exchange of personal property (including livestock, crops, and agricultural mechanics or shop products) produced or raised by the student farmer.
- H.R. 1737, Farmers Undertake Environmental Land Stewardship Act: This bill amends the Water Resources Reform and Development Act of 2014 to require the Environmental Protection Agency, in implementing the Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure rule (concerning oil pollution prevention).
More on Agriculture
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Representative David Kustoff (R-Tenn.) today released the following statement after a vote in the House of Representatives on H.R. 2, the Agriculture and Nutrition Act of 2018.
“The United States has the most abundant food supply in the world, and today we took an important step in protecting it,” said Kustoff. “This legislation authorizes a number of programs that support our hard-working farmers in West Tennessee and delivers on President Trump’s promise to fight for rural America.”